These are healthy, easy to make and a great way to consume veggies and proteins. Kids love these balls because of the color and cheese.
- 1 Cup Chana Daal
- 1 Beet, peeled and grated
- 1 Finely chopped onion
- 10-12 Spinach leaves
- 8-10 Mint leaves
- 2 Big spoons rice flour (Only if needed)
- 1/2 tsp. Chaat masala
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder or 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Cheese cubes - 1 cm in size
- Wash the daal well and soak for 2-3 hours. Drain water and pulse in a mixie. Do not add water to it, or add very little if you must. We need the mixture to be coarse.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients except rice flour, cheese and oil.
- If you wish to make the balls in appe pan and if the mixture is not thick enough, add some rice flour. If you wish to deep fry them, no need to add the flour.
- Take a spoonful of mixture in your palm.
- Shape it like a bowl and put a cheese cube in the center.
- Enclose the remaining mixture to make it round.
- Put appe pan on medium flame, add few drops of oil.
- Keep the balls in it for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn all the balls when they are golden-brown in color. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketch-up.
I added spinach leaves and mint leaves as those were available, you can add chopped cilantro, curry leaves if you wish.
These balls taste pretty similar to falafels. Next time I am going to try making pita pockets if other ingredients are available.